Tuesday, January 14, 2003

I walk a lot. On recycling days, I notice the bins. I like to imagine what people are like based on their bin contents and wonder whether we could be friends.
Bin full of Wolf Blass, Gourmet magazines and olive oil bottles = friend
Bin full of orange schnapps bottles, kraft dinner boxes and the Toronto Sun = trailer trash

Do you notice how hard it is to make friends when you're an adult? You can't just go up to someone on the street and say "Hey, wanna come to my place for a Mr. Freezie?" There's so much more sub text now….

My sweet and talented friend Dave suggested some books in the Comments section.
Skinny Legs and All - I read and liked. Also liked Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
The Hours - disappointing. Can't remember why - it was a few years ago.
I have decided to check out Indigo at lunch and purchase either Good Omens or American Gods.

Another favourite book of mine is Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I never saw the movie because I didn't want to ruin it. (Nicolas Cage? Penelope Cruz? I think not.)

I've been thinking about book choices and I wonder why I feel compelled to read books that are "edifying". In fact, why must intelligent people feel they have to behave intelligently? If I want to read Cosmo and watch Adam Sandler movies, why shouldn't I? Will I lose IQ points?




No comments:

Douglas Adams was right about giant currency . Marie Curie " I have no dress except the one I wear every day. If you are going to...