Friday, January 28, 2005

Library School Drop-Out, Because Dantallion Asked About UWO
I went to York University for Theatre (first and second year). At the end of second year, my theatre prof had a talk with me.
“So, what are your plans for next year?
“I’ve decided to transfer my major to Creative Writing.”
“How wonderful!” he replied with visible relief in his face. He wouldn’t have to tell me I was a no talent hack.

So I graduated with a degree in writing poetry. With a minor in writing short stories, Very useful! So I decided to get my Master’s in Library and Information Science.

I spent two weeks in the program at UWO (University of Western Ontario). The first week, we learned to use a word processor (I had spent the previous two summers desktop publishing and was bored out of my skull). The second week, we started (STARTED!) learning the Dewey Decimal system.

That’s when I dropped out. I still think UWO is one of the Prettiest. Campuses. Ever.

Epilogue: Sister Staceypatrick then got me a job at a teeny tiny publisher as the Receptionist/Admin Ass’t. And through a series of twists and turns, I now work for the Behemoth Bank of Canada googling NASCAR.

Funny aside: Two of my friends who I met much later graduated from UWO and have Library Science degrees. They weren’t in my class.

No comments:

Douglas Adams was right about giant currency . Marie Curie " I have no dress except the one I wear every day. If you are going to...